Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Why is Elementary school just like High school for the Moms?



OK, so I have been feeling like I am back in High school with the moms at Maddy's school. And let me tell you I was not one of the popular kids in high school. I was one of the "theatre geeks" that people knew and were somewhat nice to, but never really a part of any groups. This comes to say I could probably count on one hand how many friends I actually had outside of the theatre.

So, when I go to pick her up and I am standing there next to some of them, it is almost as if I am invisible. Not quite sure why.... I hear them setting up play dates with each other, and I wonder why Maddy is not included? She plays with their kids at recess. I have even had a mom or two comment on how loving and caring Maddy is. So then why do I take it so personally? I don't know. I don't want her to feel like I did, the awkward kid that stands there, hoping to be included. But really, she doesn't experience the disappointment that I do, she is in MaddyLand. She is so carefree and oblivious. Maybe that is not such a bad trait. And maybe I could learn from my 5 year old. Maybe I am the one who wants to be included...

No comments: