Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sometimes we need a little reminder...




This is my friend Lindsey. We met in 6th grade and have kept in touch through the wonders of Facebook. And that little man is Jackson. Lindsey posted her blog about being the momma. As I read her post, tears started to well up in my eyes. Sometimes we just need that reminder of what we are doing, why we are doing it and the fact that the hard times come and go, and we still make it through it.

My youngest is now 4. Hard to believe. Right before I wrote this I was fighting with her to take a much needed nap. As she was kicking and screaming in her bed, I thought, "wow, this is what being a mama is..." Lindsey's post was a blessing to me because, while she is in the honeymoon phase of being mama, she opened my eyes to the memories. I loved the days I held my girls and they would just cuddle with you. I think as a mama, we try to keep those memories locked up, so that on days like today, when it is rainy outside, and you have a person half your height screaming at you, you can remember that this will pass. I hope. You realize that you will become stupid much faster than you thought possible. You will become a great arguer. A puzzle solver to figure out what your kids were thinking, or even more what they weren't thinking. You will understand that sometimes being a mama means you may not always feel like doing something, but you do it anyways for your kiddos. And sometimes that smile plastered on your face may not be real, but you fake it for them. You realize that you are their greatest teacher. And they are your greatest teacher as well. There is no manual. Sure there are parenting books up the wazoo, but the only way you really learn is as you go. Sure, you are going to make mistakes, and parental guilt will wear you down. But you just have to do your best, take every opportunity to learn from situations. Know that there will be days that you accomplish more than you thought possible, and other days will slip by and you will wonder where they went. Laundry and housework will always be there. Your kiddos will challenge you. And you will do your best to raise responsible, kind, respectful, understanding, honest, loving little people.

Lindsey, thanks for that reminder to just take it all in, at every phase and cherish every moment.

1 comment:

Lil' Momma Holmes said...

Marn- Thank you!! It's so wonderful to be connected to you again! We momma's must stick together and I think these blogs are a wonderful way to do it. We will learn and grow from each other and stumble our way through mommyhood. I'm glad I could help you out today and I know that you will return the favor!
I love you and remember..... you are the best mommy to those little girls. xoxoxo